Sunday, November 18, 2007

Bunny's Weekend To-Do List

It is 2 hours to football and Bunny is working on her weekend to-do list. This is a special weekend, because she has only one more non-knitting task to do in the next 2 hours and it is an easy one. Knitting tasks can cause Bunny some angst but, let's face it, they are optional in a way that, say, paying bills is not.

Because Bunny is a wee bit compulsive, she has her to-do list in several places:

  1. A master running to-do list of everything she needs to get done at some point. Includes such varied tasks as "renovate heating/cooling system," "finish mitten," and "watch 2 Netflix." In other words, there are chores and there are "chores." There are things that I want to do but may not accomplish in my lifetime, and there are things that, if I don't do ("pay bills"), I may end up living in a box.
  2. A list of monthly goals. Most of these are precatory. For example, is it realistic for me to think I am going to knit three pairs of socks, one pair of mittens, work on a secret project, knit half a sweater, do another foot of the beagle blanket, paint the house, plants bulbs, build a closet shelving system, read ten books, save a million dollars, and lose 234 pounds in a month? Maybe not.
  3. A list of weekly goals. Here is where she starts to get a little more realistic. For example, I probably can do four repeats of the Monkey pattern on my Monkey sock and knit the thumb gusset on a mitten in a week.
  4. A list of daily goals. I pretty much ignore this one. Take out the trash. Make dinner. Pack lunch. Clean pile of mail off bookcase. Whatever.
  5. The knitting-related to-do list that creates the most pressure is more of a visual list than mere words:



Yup. There are all the projects I want to get something done on in the next few days. Pick something off the pile, work it for a while, pack it up, and move on to the next one. Sometimes, I find a surprise in the pile:







Look! Bunny's car keys!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OK, you win! I had to look up "precatory". But while you are thinking wishfully, is YB still jabbaesque?