Saturday, December 22, 2007

Now what?

I am done with my job for the year. I have done my gift-shopping and wrapping. I have made my menus, done all of the food shopping that can be done in advance, stuffed The Man's stocking, finished the decorating, and put all the detritus back in the basement closet. The laundry is done. The dogs have had baths. We are fully stocked on coffee, sugar and other goodies, booze, and firewood.

The only things I have left to do are all food-related (last-minute shopping for perishables, baking goodies) and, therefore, enjoyable at least in theory although sometimes I can tire myself out and start feeling cranky and unloved. I do and do and do for you people (The Man) and this is the thanks I get! That kind of irrational crap. That usually leads to nap time and then The Man gets some peace, and it all tends to work out.

So, with basically nothing left to do except enjoy the season, I have all this time in front of me that is not crammed full of to-dos. I am at a complete loss. I have constructed this very neurotic world around myself in which my (lack of) value and (lack of) happiness is tied to the (non) recognition I get for my (so-called) accomplishments. If I don't get enough admiration and recognition, it must be because I am not accomplishing impressive-enough achievements. I have weathered a number of professional disappointments this past year, and it has been a pretty thin year for recognition, so I've been feeling really bad about myself. And now, I have time to devote to all the fun things I can think of and I have no idea what to do if it isn't achievement-oriented.


I asked The Man I sez Hey The Man, what should I do with myself? Should I finish up the two knitting projects I have left that aren't very interesting, or I should I start something new, fun, and exciting?


The Man and I have been together since 1873 and he still doesn't quite know what to make of me. This, for example, was a serious question reflective of a deep-seated fucked-up-ness in the Dirtbunny mindset.



The Man sez, do something fun, duh. Like it was an easy question. Leisure time is not so much of a problem for him.


So I am considering what I have in the stash, and I am going to choose something cool to do. Also, I put together some cookie dough that can be sliced and baked later, and I'm making more biscotti. I'm not really going to keep almond flour and candied ginger around until next December, so I might as well use it up in light of the Economy Plan, even though no one here needs any more biscotti. YB is pretty sure he'd like some, though, given how he's sniffing around the oven and licking flour off the kitchen floor. Perhaps I'll pack some up to share with, what did they call themselves? The "old folks in the South"?


Here is our Christmas tree when it was half-decorated:
Check out the serious tilt, especially of the star on top. We're a real Land of Misfit Toys around here. By the way, as I promised, GK has thoroughly checked out the tree and he is no longer askeered of it:







YB is too busy hanging out in the kitchen hoping I'll drop something to show much interest in the tree. For now.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Old folks in the south"??? Are you perhaps referring to those that have nutured and loved you all these years? Certainly you can not begrudge them a few biscotti? And while you are at it, dropping a few with the kids at the office would be appreciated. Not all of us are willing to cook or have spouses that lavish as many joules on them as The Man.

- Your salivating public