Friday, February 27, 2009

Just go with it

For Italian futbol fans, Fabio Cannavaro is the ultimate. He is the beloved capi of the Azzurri--BELOVED--and frequently recognized as one of the very best central defenders of all time. I've been trying to understand this. I try to keep my eyes on him during Real Madrid matches (cuz that's where he plays now) to see what's so special. I'm not seeing anything transcendent. Maybe it's because the royal whites are doing so well lately that they haven't needed much defense. Maybe he looks too much like Pepe from a distance (similar size, same hair, numbers 3 and 5) and I just can't tell. Maybe it's too late in his career and I've missed most of what has made him so great. I dunno. I've been waiting and waiting for him to give me a reason to call him up.




Is this a good reason?






Well, that was a while ago, and looks aren't everything.




What about this?










Yes, well, we all want Gigi to be happy, but I think Dirtbunny is enough to keep him happy.

And then, deep in the dark steamy bowels of the Interwebs, I found my reason.





Get up, Cris, you big whiner. This is futbol, not golf. You may be the current FIFA World Player of the Year, but you are still a great big crybaby. What? Do you expect the defense to just let you in?

So Capi is in. Welcome to FC Dirtbunny.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I look at that pic and think that Cannevaro is saying in his little word bubble the Italian equivalent of "Dude, please!" (snark)