Thursday, October 1, 2009

Gigi Giovedi


Because I am in despair over the state of the world.  Because I am disheartened that people with views like mine are called Not Real Virginians, Unamerican, and Unpatriotic.  Because things that I think should be obvious (Torture is bad.  Killing is bad.  Helping poor people is good.) seem to be merely debatable talking points instead of something we can all agree about.




Because our popular culture is escapist, empty, and without grace or class or nuance.  Because discussion has devoled into screaming at one another.







Because it has somehow become more important to be in charge than to do good.  That the concept of "making the world a better place" makes people smirk.  Because there just doesn't seem to be anything good left anywhere beyond the borders of my own back yard, and because I know that isolating myself and withdrawing into my own brand of escapism are the same as giving up hope that things will ever get better.





Just because.




I know it's all bread and circus.  I know it's only a shallow pursuit whose purpose is to distract me and encourage me to buy things.  I know it's only a matter of soccer jerseys instead of football jerseys, wine instead of fast food, yarn and fancy knitting equipment instead of stuff acquired for some other hobby.  I know I'm no better than anyone else when it comes to consumption and exploiting the labor and lax standards of industry in other countries.  I know that even to express misgivings about our American lifestyle or to confess my progressive liberalism is to invite ridicule, opprobium, and contempt.  I know no one is listening.




This is why I devote so much mental energy to soccer.







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Football is much more real, and more important, than the Serious People telling us that the serious things we care about are silly, fanciful, or commie. You have nothing to apologize for.

The Shadow

Anonymous said...

Life is short; tell the ones you care about that you love them, reply to ignorance with knowledge, speak quietly when others shout, stay focused on what you believe are the real issues but listen to others' points of view. And as the Robert Duvall character said in "Second Hand Lions" believe good triumphs over evil because believing in anything else is to despair.

So on a night when one TV network "news" team devoted the first 10 minutes to David Letteramn and Chicago not hosting the Summer Olympics, remember you are not alone. Others care, others believe, others respect.

We love you.