Saturday, April 12, 2008

More about the office

I've got my job on the brain and not much else to say. How about if you all pretend that I have just written a highly entertaining rant about work.

There. Wasn't that amusing? Better than reading an actual work rant.


This is a photo of the big bookcase in Bunny's office. Back in days of yore, when we still had a "backlog" and were ordering furniture, Bunny was carrying a caseload of 30-35 cases. Bunny needed a place to put all that stuff, so she selected a nice tall bookcase to put it in. Now the backlog is gone, and Bunny is carrying a whopping two cases today. Sometimes, it goes all the way up to four! So no need for the big bookcase. There's still some work down there at the bottom, but mostly it is filled with toys and supplies.


I have an apple and a banana. I have the travel mug from the morning commute. I have my dinosaur, Hose. He's good for holding rubber bands around his neck and he makes a good paperweight.

Up there on the top shelf, I have my Cat Lady and her assorted kitties in repose on a stack of subversive books (one of them is a dictionary of corporate bullshit that defines terms like "team work" and "thinking out of the box"). I have some plastic spiders up there and a contraband candle. I'm pretty sure that I am not supposed to have candles. Here's the thing. No one actually cares about my stupid candles as long as I employ common-sense safety techniques. Therefore, no one is telling me that I have to ixnay the candles. However, if I were to ask for permission, permission would have to be denied. This is all a chickenshit sort of don't ask don't tell. I like the candles. They smell good, and I need something that will mask the stench of my neighbor's cloud of White Linen. I used to wear White Linen myself, but this person soaks in it. I can smell it in my office with my door closed. Hell, some days it's so strong I can taste it. So the candles help with that. Also, I get a petty little boost from the whole forbidden aspect of it. What? I said it was petty.

What else? Oh, my nutritionist is always nagging me about not getting enough protein in my diet, so I have a Giant Can Of Protein Powder that I sometimes mix with soymilk to make a protein shake. Or I did. That can now lives at home and I use it in smoothies.

Finally, but most importantly, I have my coffee-making apparatus. I like coffee really really strong and I don't like going out to get it and the coffee club at work is not an option flavor-wise. So I have my own French Press, and I have a can of regular and a can of decaf, and I use hot water from the water club machine and make my own about three times a week. I get about a cup and a half of dark, sludgy stuff, with caffeine or without as my whim might be, and the only downside is The Man isn't there to clean up after me. I have to do my own dishes. That bites. But, since I'm the only one who uses it, it only has to be clean-ish, not clean. If I want it clean, I take it home and run it through the dishwasher, probably about once a week.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

At my workplace the odor to be masked by candles would be the greasy scent of hamburgers and fries (good day) or the lovely waft of fermenting cabbage (bad day) from the food court below us in our building.