Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Bad News for Mister Kirby

My special sweetheart has a highly invasive malignant tumor and has to have his right rear leg amputated all the way to the top of the femur. We will probably have that done on Monday so he can be home from the hospital by Thanksgiving (not that he cares it's Thanksgiving, but the hospital won't be completely staffed that day). He is doped up on painkillers right now, his belly is full, and he just wants to sleep. I keep looking at his little leg and thinking about how it isn't going to be there next week.

I will deal with this, and he is going to adapt quickly and be just fine, but I'm pretty sad and raw right now. Fred went blind and he is still the same dog as he was before. Kirby will recover and the pain from the tumor will be gone and he will be back to himself and all will be for the best. But I think I have some crying to do before I settle into this.

No comments: