Friday, May 22, 2009

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way first

I grew up in a no-dessert-unless-you-finish-your-dinner finish-your-homework-before-you-go-out-to-play sort of household. We have a lot of catching up to do, and it's not all going to be pessimistic and negative, but let's finish the squash before we move on to pie. Here is some stuff that has happened recently:



1. I have pretty much stopped returning phone calls and responding to emails. However, I feel tremendous guilt and shame about this, so that's how you know I'm just chickenshit, not a bona fide sociopath.



2. I sprained my ankle. (It's almost better now.)



3. I lost my cell phone. (The Man found it in the bushes a day later. Did my phone fling itself from me and into the bushes? We don't know for sure.)

4. Somebody peed on the treadmill. It wasn't me.



5. It's springtime, and this is that time of year that my depression starts to boil. I'm not sure why, but it has been a recurring theme of the last four years. I had been in a few years of relative mental health when things started going south for me in May 2005. Can't point to anything that happened to trigger it either. Spring 2006: Big professional disappointment (not related to the whole promotion fiasco). Spring 2007: Biggest professional disappointment of my entire career (also not related to the promotion thing) and the beginning of the era of Dirtbunny in Disgrace (which is still ongoing, although I care less now.) Spring 2008: Ah, yes, the spring of feeling suicidal, even before Pammie killed herself. Spring 2009: It's back. Why? Can't point to any particular trigger. I may sound all blase about this, and if you ask me how I'm doing, I'll say I'm OK, maybe going through a little down cycle in my mood, but OK. The truth is, it absolutely sucks, and I don't want to go back to the dark feelings of last year and I'm worried that I'm headed right back there. HOWEVER, this time, I have a plan. Writing about how the week is going is not officially part of the plan, so I might not write about it (and then again I might). But it is in place, and I feel good about it, and hopeful that things are going to start getting better. Soooo, fingers crossed for Dirtbunny.





Here is what Loooca looks like when he misses:





He is very dramatic. It has been said that "his protests are magnificent" and that his demeanor on the pitch is "operatic" which, by the way, is what Bossboy says about Dirtbunny.

No comments: