Sunday, July 26, 2009

Gestating

And so the highlight of my year has come and gone. Dirtbunny has been to Baltimore to see her Dirtbunnies play in person. Dirtbunny, The Man, and 71,000 other people. It sold out. I had no idea. From the underwhelming response I've felt from around here, I thought I was alone in my futbol love. Nope. Other tifosi, wearing their team colors, shrieking delightedly at all the plays, groaning dramatically when the ball bounced off the crossbar, cheering madly when their favorite players took the pitch. I was with my peeps. It was awesome. I almost expired from all the love.




*sigh*



Here's some proof:




You know it's proof, because if I lifted these photos from someone else, they would have been good photos. Can you guess who that is in his "Aquarius" colored kit and specially designed bombardier helmet of brain injury avoidance? (I'm not kidding about the "Aquarius." That is apparently what Adidas calls that color.)



And down there are some Dirtbunnies. I know one of the longer-haired ones in white is Sleepy, and the black one in white is Clarence Seedorf, and I know that Rino is not in the picture because he hadn't come on yet, but otherwise, even I'm not sure what that is a picture of. Except Drogba. I can tell Drogba by the number on the blue jersey. Great. I went all the way to Baltimore and all I have to show for it is a photo of Didier Drogba.




So I got to see all of my Dirtbunnies play who were there (Petr Cech, Sleepy, Rino, Gian) except Deco. And I also got to see all the non-Dirtbunnies I was hoping to see (Borri, Pippo, Tiger). And I scouted some new Dirtbunnies material that you will be hearing about eventually.


I will say this. The next time we go to Baltimore, we will go the day before and get a hotel room. If you see The Man, it would be best not to ask him about the traffic. Or the parking lot.
Or how long it took to go 55 miles. There were times when we thought it wasn't worth it. But it was. Good times.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aw, a little traffic, surely you offered to drive! Who won?

Dirtbunny said...

Dirtbunny drive? Please. You must be new around here. That would cut into knitting time.


We will enjoy the glorious moments contained within the match, and not dwell on the end result. Ahem. Does that answer your question?

Anonymous said...

Chelsea, 2-1. In this game Milan seemed to be under the impression that you scored points by hitting the post or the upright rather than putting the ball in the goal. By the time they realized what the rules of the game were, it was too late. Also, I now have two new fundamental hypotheses of physics that seem borne out by recent experience: Whatever route you choose and whenever you start, it takes four hours to get from Richmond to Washington, and three hours from Washington to Baltimore. I need scientific help to explain these strange phenomena.

Anonymous said...

Four hours from Richmond to Washington? What are you doing - catching the weekend beach going home traffic rather than taking the US 1 to I-95 to US 17 to US 29 route to miss the sun burned minivans full of screaming ankle biters and the associated accidents. Also consider Baltimore towards Annapolis and in on US 50 as a backup as all sports fans in Wankington go to Baltimore to see real sports events rather than root for the local losers.