Monday, March 24, 2008

Happy Birthday Special Boy

As I write this, Kirby is sitting next to me, looking up at me and oink/grunting contentedly. This was a work at home day, which is about as good as it gets for Kirby. In the morning, he follows me around the house, even to the bathroom, to make sure I'm not going to leave. In the afternoon, he's usually decided that I'm not going anywhere, and he settles down for a nap. Yarn Bandit, meanwhile, follows the sun around the house. He knows where it's going to be at what time of day and now we do too, so there's a cushion for him in all the best spots.


When we adopted Kirby two years ago tomorrow, we weren't so sure that he was ever going to be happy here and I suppose he wasn't so sure either. What a frightened little guy he was. He wouldn't eat, drink, pee, or poop. The first time we took him for a walk, he tried to escape for the woods. I thought it would be nice to have a dog, but I had no idea how important he would be or what he would mean to me. After two years, and despite the unwelcome (from Kirby's point of view) intrusion of one Yarn Bandit, I know he's happy. He loves and trusts us enough to show us sides of himself that no one else gets to see, and that feels like a gift. Forgive the schmoopiness, I know that's not really like me, but he is a precious gift. In the words of Ed, seeing Nathan, Jr. for the first time after H.I. has kidnapped him, "I LOVE HIM SO MUCH!" [sobbing hysterically]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is going on? You are getting just as syrupy and others get on this occaision. What ever happened to "give him the same thing Bunny is drinking"?