Saturday, January 22, 2011

Old Lady Post: Coppa Spam

ORIGINALLY PUBLISHED ON JANUARY 18, 2011




Juventus 1:0 Catania

It was a busy week.  Juventus advanced in the Coppa Italia and beat Bari at home to scrape up three much-needed points.  There were some injuries and some recoveries and some transfers that ended up not happening, but by far the most important thing that happened was this:
Gigi is back.



That face!

His back is squared away.  His hair is squared away.  His form is squared away.  His attitude is squared away:

It’s a beautiful emotion that for someone who has won a World Cup, played in a Champions League final, and played in so many important stadiums like me, that this night meant so much to me even if it was “just” a Coppa match. I must thank the fans who often said “Why the hell are you staying here when you could leave and win in other places?” I don’t think I could find this kind of affection anywhere else, and maybe it’s true that I could leave and win elsewhere, but the love they give me is worth more than any kind of victory, it’s amazing. I thank them from the bottom of my heart.  source

He loves us back!





It all started on Thursday with a Coppa Italia round of sixteen victory over Catania.     Because my cable company is a liar and because GolTV can't seem to publish accurate listings, I missed the first half.  By the time I got myself hooked up, the photogs had already started worshiping at the altar of Gigi.






It was his first start since that big soccer thing in June that was so important that even a few of my people IRL heard about it, but so dreadful that I'm pretty sure not very many of us want to think about it.  Because it was his first start, the press was all over it.



And now that he's back, we know.  It's official.  This season's Nike goalkeeper kits look like crap on everyone.



It's a soothing sight, Gigi between the sticks.




Despite the thing with ADP, it was Gigi who started the whole football thing for me, but I'm saving that story for later.




The only downside is that now Marcostorari is on the bench.  Well, actually in the stands for the Coppa match.  I saw his beautiful white teeth grinning out from the shadows.






This man deserves a third gold star on his kit before he retires.




Grosso started at left back, but by the time I got there, Grygera had already come on in Grosso's place.






Sorensen started on the right.




Now this warms my heart.  Gigi is 'splaining stuff to the bbz.  Lissen up, bbz!  Gigi has things to teach and you aren't finished learning.



He's paying attention.  Excellent.


Because this was not a league match, Melo was not suspended, which is good not least because it gives Melo some playing time so he doesn't forget what a football is before his suspension ends sometime in the 2020s.



Your supporters feel a bit let down by the red card episode.  That was uncool.



But just a temporary relapse, not a leap back into ignominy, right?



Right?




Oh, look.  Claudio!



I hear that at some point in the first half, he blew an awesome chance.



Aww, baby, you make failure hot.



Also in the first half, Loooca hurt his knee.


Why does he always look befuddled and full of questions?


He is out for a month.




I'm going to say this slowly so everyone understands:  Luca Toni, the aging and decrepit striker whose best days are well behind him and whom Juventus bought to replace Quags after Quags suffered a season-ending injury, is broken after just about 100 minutes in the shirt.  Luca Toni will not be available until mid-February




At about this time, LDN made a statement about how possibly gave an interview in which he said something about how injuries suck but you can't go running to the mercato every time someone gets hurt.  The simians over at Goal.com heard this as We don't need no stinking strikers. Meanwhile, Marotta is out saying that Juve is definitely looking for another striker.  Sounds like these guys are overdue for a staff meeting.


Anyway, Loooca went out and Albertino came in looking as confident and self-assured as always.




But then, there's no such thing as an Italian football player who is too shy to argue with a ref, and Albertino is no exception.





ADP started up front as seconda punta, and after Loooca went down, he was solo punta.



You'll all be happy to hear that Ale went down briefly with a sore knee.  It looked kind of grim for a few minutes, but he got up, walked it off, and resumed the game.  IMO, they should have taken him out and rested him but the problem is that there is no one else.  Quags, Toni, Iaquinta, and Amauri are all broken.




Ale didn't get on the scoreboard, but word is he made both goals.



That's wonderful, obviously, but if I hear Visca and those guys talk about "rolling back the years" one more time, I'm going to puke.




He's a little battered right now, but I assure you that all his parts work exactly the way they're supposed to.


TANGENT: omg omg omg omg Official: Francesco Totti Signs for Juventus

Step One: MOTHER OF ALL SPIT TAKES
Step Two: OMG Marie is going to dieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
Step Three: Do Not Want! Do Not Want!
Step Four: WE ALREADY HAVE AN ENTIRE STABLE FULL OF AGED BROKEN-DOWN STRIKERS.
Step Five: Plus, I keep typing "Tooti" and eventually Marie is going to have to hurt me. I need to stick around at least until Leonard and Penny get back together.
Step Six: #27? But Milos is #27.
Step Seven: *reads*
Step Eight: *facepalm*
Step Nine: *laughs and laughs and laughs*
Step Ten: "Whew!"





So, who were the lucky recipients of Il Capitano's largesse?





Milos was one of them.



Yeah....it all happened before I got there.



I wish I'd seen it, because I've been down on Milos lately, but I don't care enough to look for a highlight reel.  Oh well.




Good for him, though.


And Pepe!  Pepe also got a goal.




That one I did see, but I don't remember anything except "What?  Pepe scored?"



He was extraordinarily happy and hopped a ride on the Gio!cart.



All he wants is love.  Is that so wrong?



What a lovely smile.  Also, an important goal, because it put the match away and allowed Juve to put Chievo, Parma, and Napoli behind them and remember what it's like to not fail.



Some people got a little too comfortable with failure last season.  It's good to bounce back.



And it's good for Pepe to have stopped sucking, cos the zebes need something approaching quality on the wings.


TANGENT:  As I write this, I have a Sevilla match on in the background, and they (not Ray Hudson) are going on about the brilliance of Martin Caceres.  I think I'm gonna cry.  Him and his pretteh hairz......




So normally, because I copy  Martha, I tend to finish with the goal scorers.  It seems logical from a story-telling point of view.  This time, however, I'm finishing with Giorgio.



nnnngggh



The reason for ending with Gio is not merely because of his many wonderful qualities.  It's so I can end with this:




Aw.   AWWWW.  I love them so much!!!!!



So Juve advances to meet the winner of Lazio-Roma.

This started out as a mega-post covering the Catania and Bari matches, but there have been technical difficulties and it's late and I have to get up in the morning, so the Bari spam will follow tomorrow, I hope.

No comments: