Sunday, June 13, 2010

More from Day 3

Item One: Tiki spent the day doing like he do.....



......forsaking the comforts that cost me real, actual money (dog beds, air conditioning), to find whatever bits of sun there are so he can bake himself.



Item Two: I solved the knitting dilemma by working on the Reclamation Cardi until I couldn't stand it any more, then I switched over to the Tahoe socks.....



...and finished them (I told you I was pale).


Item Three: I am seriously excited about the Azzurri match tomorrow. I can't decide whether to wear my Gigi jersey or my Gio jersey to bed tonight. What? They're too ugly to wear in front of people and they are most unflattering to my spherical shape. Wearing them while alone and under the covers should be OK, as long as the dogs aren't offended. Unless they're itchy.



Item Four: So I have a subscription to a local CSA because I am a crazy liberal former vegetarian suburban professional with a lot of food fetishes and that's what we do. It's early in the season, so when my farm box comes on Wednesdays, it's full of stuff I'll eat but don't really love. The first week, we got strawberries (yum), a dill plant (it died already), oak leaf lettuce (yum), spring onions (yawn), and about four pounds of kale. A LOT OF KALE. This week we got more strawberries, more spring onions, a chive plant (it died already), a bunch of mystery greens that if they were growing in my yard I would consider to be weeds, and about four bounds of swiss chard. A LOT OF SWISS CHARD. What do you do with 8 plus pounds of greens?


Well, you wash them and freeze about half of them. Then you chop the kale and some chard in the food processor until it's fine but not yet pureed, and you saute them with the green onions until they are tender, and then you mix that with eggs and ricotta and provolone. And then you have two choices: Put that in a pie crust and bake it like a quiche, which is pretty much what it is; or pour it into a souflfle dish and bake it like a souffle, which is pretty much what it is. Oooh! You can layer it with lasagna noodles and sauce and use it as lasagna filling, which is pretty much what it is.


The rest of it? The mystery greens and the rest of the chard? The plan is to braise them with garlic and sundried tomatoes and olives and toss them with pasta (and a boatload of parmesan). Today however, I chickened out. My food fetishes mean that things I otherwise like (such as fish) or would be willing to try (like braised greens over pasta) become temporarily and arbitrarily disgusting.



Item Five: I think I have finally figured out how to use the gelato machine Mr. D got me for my birthday. Banana Gelato with a pinch of nutmeg = win!


Item Six: I miss Gio, so here's a gratuitous Gio photo, just cos we love him so much!



Hey baby. Please don't let me catch you wearing doucheboots tomorrow, mkay? And if Idiot Il Mister DeadToMe plays you at left back instead of center back, well, you go on and be the best left back you can be, mkay? (And stay away from Quags in the changing room.)


P.S.: Another bon mot from Mr. D: We are watching (of course) the world cup and the broadcasters get all breathless about how exciting it is and remind us that there haven't even been any Brazil matches yet!! And we haven't seen Christiano Ronaldo yet either!!!! Oh Boy!!!!!!! Our Mr. D deadpans, "And don't forget Italy. And Quags."



this post powered by banana gelato and wondering where the hell was I when the Stone Roses were doing their thang

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The dogs better not be offended by what you wear given that you pay their bills. OK, maybe they do enjoy the sun, which is free, but there are other times that they think food, AC, clean water, dog treats, blankets, dog beds, etc. aren't too shabby either.

Also, banana gelato is a powerful force!

Danielle said...

I grow an obnoxious amount of rainbow chard. I pair it with beet greens and saute in olive oil along with some garlic, soy sauce and siracha. I'm also going to try my hand at making chard chips. I've seen it done mainly with kale, but I'm willing to step ouside the garden box. I'm definitley going to try your lasagna idea as well as make an egg bake!