Saturday, June 14, 2008

Back to the Lists

May was the month of no lists. I can faithfully report that ratcheting waaaaaay back on the lists correlates nicely with improved mood. I have been feeling better on the whole, even though my shrink canceled my appointment and can't see me again for weeks ("That's okay. I'm not that suicidal.") Not every day has been great, but I'm sleeping better, generally, I'm feeling better, generally, and I'm a little more willing to interact with my fellow humans, generally. I've had a sudden burst of productivity at work that I intend to ride for as long as it lasts. I've got some seminars coming up that will take me out of the office a little and provide a nice break in the routine. I never come up the front steps to the house so I'm blissfully unaware of the dreadful weeds overtaking the front yard Chez Nous, and because I don't know that they're there, they don't bother me.

May is over. Now we are in June. June heralds a return to the lists in a gentle way, because there are things around here that need to get done. This is my list for the weekend:

  1. Food: plan menus, make grocery list, send The Man to the Fresh Fields, put groceries away. He buys the groceries. When he goes, we spend less, we end up with less junk, and Bunny doesn't waste time being distracted by all the fun food stuff on display.
  2. Wash bedspread. It is covered in dog hair and I need a big, clean, flat space where I can do #3.
  3. Block Poppy's sheep blanket. Also, write about it and take some pictures.
  4. Cook: If I am going to have something decent for dinner this week, I'll need to do some things in advance this weekend. For example, if I make a french potato salad, hard boil some eggs, steam some haricots verts, and make a vinaigrette, I can have a salade nicoise for dinner this week. If I don't make enchiladas this weekend, there won't be any after work on Thursday. If I don't clean and cook the broccoli, I might not eat any vegetables this week.
  5. Catch up on some blogging. It's fun and good for me. Even if I only have three readers, plus The Man, if I remind him that I have a blog.
  6. Cast on the second stupid blue ribbed sock and get the cuff started. I don't like it anymore, but it won't be over with if I don't get started. See how abandoning the project entirely is not even an option?
  7. Give Kirby his bath. He's fiddling with his ears and chewing his paws a little too much.
  8. Clear off my desk. I need a clean desk. I can't tolerate clutter.
  9. Discuss with The Man Friday's transportation plan for stitch and pitch. Shall we drive or Metro? Park at the office and Metro from there? Do we want to carpool with friends? Do we want to leave straight from work or come home first? My friends want to know, and The Man needs be consulted.
  10. Watch last night's episode of Battlestar Gallactica so I can talk about it with Dana on Monday.

That's enough, I think. Let's check back later and see how she's doing.

Uh oh. I smell poop. There shouldn't be anything poop-smelling in here. Time to investigate.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I thought the end of western civilization started when sushi became available at Jack Murphy, now Qualcomm stadium. Stitch and pitch has even that beat and confirms the ultimate triumph of postmodern feminism. What next? Chardonay the only available beverage at Redskins games? Vegan nights at the Wizards games? The Man paying $100 for a cut and blowdry? HOV-3 lanes becoming HOV-5?